Monday, January 18, 2010

Firsts for Shane and Madison

This was an exciting weekend for Shane and Madison!!

Madison has been practicing her cheer leading since June and she had her first competition this weekend. All of her practices were finally worth it. It was so fun to see her Tiny squad get so excited for their first competition. They won 1st place this weekend. Unfortunately, Madison missed the awards ceremony because since I am a single mom now since Eric is in Arizona we had to leave the competition early to take Shane to his first basketball game(which I will talk about in a second).

Here is Madison in her competition!!

(I can't get this video to load so Eric will have to help me when he gets home)

Here are some pics of her competition:

Emerald All-star Tiny Team

My little poser...

My sweet girl. She is so pretty!!

She has a competition every weekend until April. We have to go to Portland, Salem and Tacoma. Can you believe that we have to drive 5.5 hours to a cheer leading competition? I can't but I will do if for my sweet girl.

Shane just started basketball. He loves it. He keeps asking me to get him a basketball hoop, but since we are moving soon I told him that we needed to wait until we moved. So he says that he will be better next year when he can practice more. He is the tallest boy on his team by almost a head. The coach says that he is building the plays around Shane. That puts a lot of pressure on the little guy. The first game was a little crazy. Shane shot at the wrong basket, but didn't make it. Thanks goodness... He also took of dribbling the wrong way. That isn't too bad for his first time playing basketball. He also got the majority of the rebounds. He is now really good at stopping after her rebounds the ball and passing it to the point guard. It didn't work out to well when he dribbled. He is like his mommy in that sense. I always got the rebounds and then passed them to the point guard. When you have as big of feet as Shane and I it is a better idea just to pass the ball. A few times he was running down the court so fast that his long legs got away from him and he would just fall. I think that will happen for a while until he grows into his body which might take a while. He is so fun to watch. Since I played basketball it is really fun to see my kid playing. I am the loudest mom out there cheering for Shane and telling him what to do. It makes me think of my dad at my games. ;) Shane scored a basket with more to come...

They have the kids read the rules at the YMCA Basketball games which I was not aware of. I had to take Madison to the bathroom and when I got back I saw Shane reading with the referee with everyone watching him. I automatically grabbed the camera and started filming him. My father in law told me that the referee gave Shane the piece of paper to read and Shane said I can't read all of that. She said read what you can and I will help you with the rest. I am so proud of him for doing that. He is only in the first grade and I thought that was very brave. Look at the smile on his face when he finished. He was so proud and I was so proud of him!!!!

Shane reading the rules...



It is amazing seeing how much taller he is than the rest of his team.


Shane after his first game

Shane and Grandpa Alan after his game.

I am so proud of both of them for trying new things and being brave even though there Daddy wasn't able to make it. They also missed Grandma and Grandpa Warren, but that is why I taped it!! So they both could see them.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

That really has been one of the greatest things about being a parent- watching my kids try new things and gain new skills. So fun. I love the cheerleading uniforms:0)

Dani said...

They look so cute in their uniforms! That is great that they are both actively involved in athletics. I hope to get Emma involved in sports someday!